Job opportunity at Ingredion
Job title: Application Technologist, Hydrocolloids (m/f)
Position location: Hamburg, Germany
Business unit: EMEA CSPI
Reports to: Innovation Manager, Texture & Specialties
- Primary Function: The Application Technologist, Hydrocolloids is responsible for managing and executing projects to build and/or apply functional and formulating expertise with single hydrocolloids and hydrocolloid ingredient systems across a broad range of applications. The incumbent is also responsible for developing and maintaining technical information and documentation for the hydrocolloids product portfolio and uses its expertise in hydrocolloids, hydrocolloid-food ingredient interactions and structure-function understanding to support the Ingredion innovation process and accelerate the commercialization of new products or solutions. The incumbent promotes the product range internally and externally, conducts on-site customer visits or hosts customers at Ingredion Idea Labs, and technically supports customers in their new product development process.
- Supervision: No
- Key Deliverables: • Build and share in-depth technical knowledge on hydrocolloids, structure-function understanding, interactions with other food ingredients, and wide formulation experience in a wide variety of food applications. • Serve as the in-house expert for the EMEA Go-to-Market organization and our customers for formulating with hydrocolloids and hydrocolloid texture systems. This involves frequent contact with customers by phone, e-mail as well as face-to-face meetings, both at customers’ or Ingredion sites. • Represent the company as required at relevant exhibitions and seminars. • Develop and apply application recipes to evaluate the product functionality and identify unique value propositions for the product portfolio. Turn them into high quality food concepts that exemplify the added value to the customer/ consumer. • Utilise kitchen, laboratory and pilot plant equipment to conduct application tests and document the work centrally incl. but not limited to written technical reports. • In close collaboration with the Texture team leads, support the implementation of the Single Hydrocolloid and Texture Systems to agreed milestones.
• Develop in-depth technical and food formulating expertise with our hydrocolloid product line, serve as a primary point of contact (a “Gum Guru”) for our customers, and provide rapid and customized
recommendations to solve customers’ product development challenges.
• Inquire, listen and fully understand market trends and customer
needs, and support the business teams to quickly deliver on-target,
hydrocolloids based solutions.
• Identify new product development and technology opportunities
with hydrocolloids and conduct the necessary steps to capitalize on
them. Develop and deliver new solutions addressing identified
• Assess new hydrocolloid ingredients in the market and benchmark against existing.
• Support and conduct the training on new product launches.
• Display exemplary participation and leadership in our EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) program. Be a strong contributor to our company-wide Continuous Improvement and Customer
Experience programs and work towards achieving functional excellence deliverables.
• Work with cross-functional, diverse group of people within an international organization and utilize global resources to support local needs.
• As member of the Global Expertise Team (GET), exchange relevant technical and business information with regional representatives across the world.
• Develop strong working relationship within the CSPI and G2M team, prioritise projects and activities within the Texture team to maximise business return.
• Develop and utilize strong internal and external working relationships, and network with customers and academia/ science institutes, building strong relationships within the food industry.
• English fluent in speech and writing; German is a plus due to office location.
- Qualification, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Degree in Food Science (Food Technology, Food Engineering or
• Min. 3 years of experience in similar technical role for the food
• Expert knowledge of hydrocolloids, structure function
understanding and interaction with other ingredients, food
formulating experience in a wide range of applications as well as
food science in general and common industrial food processes
• History of successful projects delivering product innovation in the
• Experience in running pilot plant equipment and supervising factory
• Experience with computer-assisted project planning (e.g. DoE) as well
as analysis and documentation/visualization of results
• Computer literacy (MS Office, etc.)
• Willingness to travel
- Desired Behaviours and experiences
• Curious, creative, and agile with a problem solving mind-set
• Self-motivated, takes initiative and ownership
• Interest in hands on and exploratory work
• Business-focused and results-oriented
• Excellent communication & presentation skills
• Strong project and time management
• Good networking skills
• Excellent team player
- Relocation available?: No
- Job Grade: Non-Tariff
For further information and applications, please contact Peter Hendrikx (email@example.com).